Toronto Car Accident Injury Lawyer - Ontario
TORONTO LAWYER HELPLINE: ☎ 855 804 7142
A car accident settlement can be a complex legal matter requiring an experienced Toronto car accident injury lawyer to guide you through the insurance jungle. Determining the amount a car accident claim is worth is not a simple formula but is usually resolved by the insurance company and the lawyer reaching agreement after detailed consideration of case law.
Without advice from a Toronto car accident injury lawyer most insurance companies will try to convince you that your claim isn't worth much. Remember that an insurance company's first duty lies with increasing profits for its' shareholders. The amount that will be received in a car accident settlement depends upon the severity of the injury, the length and type of treatment, the recovery period and the amount of permanent damage. Consideration is given to change in lifestyle or necessary change in employment due to injury.
Our Toronto car accident injury lawyers will maximize your settlement. You will be given advice at no cost on how best to pursue your case and what actions you should take to preserve your legal rights. Our lawyers deal with car accident settlements using a contingency fee arrangement which means that if you don't succeed in receiving a settlement then your lawyer won't get paid.
Toronto Car Accident Injury Lawyer
For legal advice at no cost without obligation from a Toronto car accident injury lawyer just call the helpline or complete the contact form or email our Toronto offices and a lawyer will telephone you immediately to discuss your compensation claim.
Car Accident Statistics
The overall number of accidents involving motor vehicle collisions in Canada is shocking with an unacceptably high proportion having involvement of alcohol or drugs :-
- Every year over 2,000 occupants of passenger motor vehicles are killed and hundreds of thousands of people are injured
- 60 percent of the passenger vehicle fatalities are unrestrained without the use of seat-belts
- Every year over thousands of pedestrians are injured and over 400 are killed in traffic accidents representing 2 percent of all the people injured and 11 percent of all traffic fatalities
- On average a pedestrian is killed in an auto accident every day
- Over 40 pedal cyclists are killed and thousands are injured annually in motor accidents which represents 2 percent of all traffic fatalities and 2 percent of all injuries
- There are almost 1,000 motorcyclist fatalities every year which accounts for approximately 7 percent of all traffic fatalities
- Motorcyclists are 18 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle traffic crash and 3 times as likely to be injured
Vehicle collisions are the most frequent kind of trauma experienced by Canadian men and the second most frequent trauma experienced by Canadian women. Every year hundreds of thousands of people are involved in vehicle collisions in Canada causing serious bodily injury and psychological distress. As many as a half of those injured go on to suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) which may interfere with their normal daily functioning and often result in substantial car accident settlements.
Psychologists Edward B. Blanchard, Ph.D., and Edward J. Hickling, Psy.D., authors of After The Crash: Assessment and Treatment of Motor Vehicle Accident Survivors, which is published by the American Psychological Association (APA), have commented as follows "Besides this being a national public health problem it is also taking a psychological toll. Not only are almost half of those involved in these incidents at a noticeable risk for developing PTSD, but there are other non symptomatic signs that affect them, like having trouble on the job and in school, maintaining friendships and not being able to enjoy leisure time."
Most of these problems can be resolved by psychiatric cognitive behavioral treatments that involve learning how to think about the traumatic experience in a healthier way which often effectively reduces the survivors' PTSD symptoms and other psychological problems that resulted from the accident.
TORONTO LAWYER HELPLINE: ☎ 855 804 7142